Dec 23, 2012

Muse The 2nd Law Album Review

Oh god, where do I even begin? I know the album has been out for a while now but I gave it a good listen a few weeks ago and I think I fell in love with Muse all over again. Let me point out that this album cannot be heard as it should be through your low quality laptop speakers or stereo, you have to really listen (I used my Beats headphones and it made all the difference). I have to say that when the trailer for The 2nd Law was released and I heard dubstep I thought: MUSE HAS GONE DUBSTEP TOO?! (But I was still ecstatic about the album nonetheless.) And I saw how the fans went rabid on the comment section on YouTube.

It's very clear that Muse can be quite versatile in they way they write and present their music; it can be heard clearly on this album. While a few music critics believe that Muse have not done their absolute best on this album, I beg to differ.  Also, the album was amazingly produced. Influences like Led Zeppelin, Queen and David Bowie are clearly heard throughout the album, something that many other artists rarely show on their records.

Muse dived into the world of dubstep in this album, not only did they incorporate the genre into their music but they included elements of it in some of their songs, you can clearly hear the bass guitar in songs such as Panic Station, mixed with a little bit of funk as well.

In a song like Supermacy, you kind of get a James Bond vibe with the incorporated orchestra instruments. At first, you hear a guitar riff and you think ah Muse is playing guitar, yay but then this orchestra kicks in and you're like oh..wait..this is...Muse?! 

Then you have a track like Liquid State, sung and written by Muse's own bassist  Wolstenholme. His voice is deep and you get a feel of the old Muse. The only complaint I have about this song is that it abruptly comes to an end after 3 staggering minutes. 

The Second Law: Unsustainable is when the magic happens. Even though I'm not a dubstep enthusiast (makes my ears bleed actually) I'm just captivated by this track. The reason I highly applaud this is because everything you hear in this song is generated by the band and not by a computer program (sorry Skrillex). Just add some electric guitars, an orchestra and a choir and you have yourself a kick-ass Muse track! 

I don't think I even need to say anything about Survival, the track for the Olympics. Bellamy did an exceptional job with the lyrics and you feel like you're hearing the words going through an athlete's mind. 

Follow Me is a more mellow sounding song, Bellamy is singing to his newborn son. The song is very sweet and you feel like as if Bellamy is directly singing to his newborn. 

I want to leave you to listen to the rest of the album and so I won't go into the rest of the tracks, listen to it yourself and be the judge. This album is just a masterpiece and listening to it once is not enough to appreciate every little detail throughout the album. You can tell from this album that Muse has greatly developed as a band. Bellamy can write music for anything and it will still be amazing. This album may not sound like typical Muse but they're trying something new but like I mentioned before, the album is wonderfully produced and composed. Another astounding album by Muse. 





No comments:

Post a Comment