Jun 30, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter Movie Review

So today I finally got to see Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter after seeing a very tempting and exciting trailer. The movie is based on the novel of the same name written by Seth Grahame-Smith. There are, of course, noticeable differences between the book and movie but I believe having these differences adds to the excitement of unpredictability. 



The movie follows the story of a young Abraham Lincoln and how he first comes into contact with vampires. He then starts leading a double life where at night, he has a secret identity as a vampire hunter, trained by a very calm mysterious man named Henry Sturges (Dominic Cooper). Throughout the movie, you can hear Lincoln narrate parts of his diary. 

Author Seth Grahame-Smith was hired to write the movie's script and the movie was produced by Tim Burton, Timur Bekmambetov and Jim Lemly. 

Benjamin Walker portrayed the 16th President of The United States and I have to say he did quite an excellent job. Although you might feel that Walker does not really resemble the late president physically but you do feel as if you are watching the true Abraham Lincoln speak to the citizens of The United States. You might think you are seeing some familiar faces as well and that is because you are, you'll find Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) and Dominic Cooper (Captain America: The First Avenger). All the actors did their roles beautifully, there were no bad performances. 

The movie felt like a breath of fresh air; with so many vampire movies being released, it's very overwhelming and you just find yourself bored with the lot of it. A president killing vampires? I could not believe it at first but when I saw the trailer I just felt a rush of excitement. It was a very exciting different side to Abraham Lincoln. However, it's one of those movies not to be taken too seriously, its sole purpose is to entertain and entertained I was. Not to mention it's historically accurate as well, a great treat for history buffs. 

Although it gives off an action-y movie feel, the fighting scenes were not that many but very well executed nonetheless. There's a lot of slashing, blood and gore which I loved and I think any gore lover will. The 3D lets you truly experience all the blood and explosions and made it even more enjoyable.

The script could have been better but it doesn't bother you that much, at least I wasn't since I never got to read the book.  Most of the movie was created by special effects and they looked quite admirable but I would have preferred if some real locations were used. However, you must keep in mind that some parts of the story might not seem plausible or real like the horse stampede scene, but you know it's a vampire movie so you just think "Oh what the hell, it's awesome anyway".

All in all, it's a great fun movie to go see if you love vampires and gore but not so much if you want something realistic, I don't think it was meant to be that way. I would give it a 7/10 for making me enjoy every minute of the movie and not letting me get bored. It was a great change from typical vampire movies and that's what made me really like it, it could have been better but it did not disappoint me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment